We make a special effort to accommodate our visitors with accessibility needs. DCM regularly collaborates with community agencies and special needs organizations to assist with accessibility and programming. DCM has an All Accessibility Advisory Committee consisting of parents of children with accessibility needs and community professionals.
At DuPage Children’s Museum (DCM), we believe that our strength lies in diversity among the broad range of people that we serve. DCM respects, values, and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics, and perspectives that make each person who they are. We are committed to providing a safe, accepting environment with unique learning opportunities for all children and families who visit the Museum.
9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Resources for Your VisitDCM staff and volunteers on the floor are in blue and red aprons. Please feel free to ask them for any assistance you may need during your visit.
These items are located at our Visitor Services Desk for use during your visit. You may check out the following with a valid picture ID:
- Noise-reducing headphones with anti-bacterial wipes
- DCM Accessibility Photo Book
- Time Timers (2)
- Time Tracker
- DCM Sensory Social Story – advanced reading comprehension
- DCM Social Story – early reading comprehension
- DCM Therapeutic Play Guide – Coming Soon
- DCM Picture Communication Symbol Guide- coming soon on-line
Adaptive Equipment for use with programming or exhibits:
- Slant board
- Spring-hinged scissors
- Adaptive rods for Glow Art exhibit
- Children’s books in Braille
- Adult-sized wheelchair
The S.M.A.R.T. café is located on the Lower Level and has vegetarian and gluten-free options, along with full nutritional information for all choices.
All Gender Restroom:
There is a large, family restroom on the First Floor, located between Make It Move and the Wonder Room. It is large enough to accommodate an adult-sized wheelchair.
Visitors with trained service animals are welcome in the Museum. On Third Thursdays, we also have a trained Comfort Dog on the floor.
- Third ThursdayThird Thursday is a day each month to incorporate special resources and programming for our visitors with accessibility or medical issues. After school and early evening are often a quieter time at the Museum for family or therapeutic visits. All families are welcome at the Museum on Third Thursdays.
Please check our website each month for a schedule coming soon.
- Trained Comfort Dog through Lutheran Church Charities K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry
- DCM Studio Sensory Art Projects- throughout the day on Third Thursday, our Art Specialist will be creating art experiences specifically to assist with sensory issues
- After school programming with specialists to assist with specific IEP and at-home goals and objectives that all involve PLAYING!
- Upcoming Third Thursdays: September 21, October 19 & November 16
- Quiet Room
The Quiet Room located on the first floor of the Museum is a specifically designed room for families who may have a visitor that needs to take a break from all the action. There is a soft couch, with dimmed blue lights, and a massive marble wall full of light and touch sensations to help calm our youngest visitors.
Please contact a DCM worker in a blue apron or check in at Visitors Services for more information or access to the room. There is also a smaller room located on the second floor of the museum, if needed.
For more advanced readers
DCM Therapeutic Play Guide
Created & written in collaboration with Midwestern University Occupational Therapy Program and the Center for Language and Speech Disorders
For early learning readers
DCM Picture Communication Symbols Guide
Pictures of every exhibit and areas of DCM to help plan a visit
One-on-one caregivers/therapists receive a complimentary admission ticket when accompanying a child visitor requiring medical assistance. An employee badge from the licensed facility and matching photo ID must be presented when admission is purchased for the child visitor.
Our Community Access Coordinator is on staff part-time and
can be reached at 630.637.8000 x4800.