DuPage Children’s Museum Position Description
Position Title: Visitor Services Team Member
Status: Non-exempt, part time
Job Classification: Visitor Services
Download a PDF Position Description
DuPage Children’s Museum is nationally acclaimed for its interactive, hands-on experiences, carefully designed to foster curiosity, creativity, problem solving and innovation through the power of play. With over 300,000 annual visitors, we partner with 38 school districts as well as approximately 60 social service agencies through our Community Access Network. We work directly with corporate and foundation supporters and rely on the work of more than 600 volunteers each year. We provide high-quality early learning resources for parents and offer professional development opportunities to caregivers and teachers. Revel in play… at DuPage Children’s Museum.
The Visitor Services Team Member is responsible for ensuring a warm, friendly, helpful atmosphere at the admissions desk for museum visitors; greeting museum visitors, providing information and directions; and maintaining literature racks. The Team Member efficiently and accurately processes members and visitors through the admissions process, sells memberships, event tickets and merchandise sales.
- Proactively enhance the visitor experience through excellent customer service.
- Maintain cheerful, welcoming, professional atmosphere at Visitor Services desk.
- Act as cashier for Museum admissions: ensure that visitors receive information about memberships, admissions, activities, programs, events, and merchandise sales.
- Proficiently complete all transactions including but not limited to membership, group, birthday party, member, general admission, and coupon entries. Demonstrate ability to close and balance cash drawers at close of day.
- Practice appropriate cash handling procedures.
- Proactively promote and sell memberships to meet weekly, monthly and annual goals.
- Recognize, appreciate and mentor volunteers; advocate for the volunteer experience.
- Perform required marketing activities such as wearing buttons, explaining promotions, assisting with mailings, and maintaining appropriate signage.
- Complete required forms accurately and assist in collection of visitor statistics.
- Provide information about facility amenities to visitors.
- Stock literature displays.
- Participate in cross-training to assist on the exhibit floor and with groups.
- Assist as needed with rentals and special events including offsite promotional events and marketing activities.
- Support other departments with major projects preparation as requested.
- During non-office hours, answer phones and provide Museum information
- May be required to host birthday parties
- Other duties as assigned by Visitor Services Leader or Visitor Services Manager
- Supervised by the Visitor Services Manager
- Encourage and coach Museum volunteers
Education and Experience:
- Experience and enjoyment in working with the public; cheerful and welcoming; friendly manner: commitment to excellent customer service.
- Experience with financial transactions a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Accuracy, good math skills, ability to use computers and cash registers; superior attention to details, experience working in customer services; honesty
- Must work well in a team atmosphere.
- Must exhibit problem solving, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills.
- The following physical abilities are required for the position: (a) process admissions using a touch-computer screen; (b) orally communicate with the visitors; (c) hear visitor’s voice and assist visitors in emergency situations; (d) manipulate a computer mouse and input using a keyboard; (e) stand for extended periods of time; (f) walk and climb stairs or use elevator; (g) ability to lift up to 30 pounds; (h) tolerate dust and fumes from general cleaning and maintenance procedures, cleaning solutions, and plastic/latex.
- Must be willing to work evening and weekend hours on rotating basis, and as needed.
- Must adhere to appropriate DCM approved dress code.
- Attend the following sessions: (Training program in development)
- Attend special topic trainings, regular Visitor Services meetings, new exhibit training sessions and all quarterly staff meetings as available, as well as participation in brainstorming sessions.
- Must have access to reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and appropriate liability insurance