DuPage Children’s Museum Position Description
Position Title: Play Facilitator
Status: Non-exempt, part time
Job Classification: Educator
Download a Position Description
DuPage Children’s Museum is nationally acclaimed for its interactive, hands-on experiences, carefully designed to foster curiosity, creativity, problem solving and innovation through the power of play. With over 300,000 annual visitors, we partner with 38 school districts as well as approximately 60 social service agencies through our Community Access Network. We work directly with corporate and foundation supporters and rely on the work of more than 600 volunteers each year. We provide high-quality early learning resources for parents and offer professional development opportunities to caregivers and teachers. Revel in play… at DuPage Children’s Museum.
Facilitate the child/adult visitor interaction with exhibits and daily/special programming by encouraging and modeling the importance of open-ended and multiple outcome experiences. Work collaboratively with other staff to ensure a warm welcoming approach to visitors. Maintain a safe, educationally sound, hospitable, and aesthetically pleasing environment at the museum.
- Facilitate and initiate interactions with adults and children to deepen their learning experiences during exhibit play and through the facilitation of programs.
- Be responsible for floor operations, visitor safety, and exhibit/program readiness, including the cleaning/disinfecting of exhibits and program materials, during assigned shifts, and special events/programs, and museum rentals.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of DCM mission, philosophy, policies and procedures.
- Provide excellent customer service including providing information to visitors, assisting visitors during incidents and complaints, and deferring situations to the Manager-on-duty (MOD) or senior staff, as needed.
- Participation in all staff meetings and trainings.
- Recognize, appreciate and mentor volunteers; advocate for the volunteer experience.
- Be responsible for following proper opening and closing procedures for museum floor, as assigned.
- Perform group orientations and follow-up procedures, as assigned.
- Attend all trainings including the morning meetings on days scheduled to work.
- Must adhere to appropriate dress code.
- Encourage communication and enhance team support/spirit among the DCM staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- May perform visitor observations.
- May assist Visitor Services or Building/Exhibit Maintenance staff, as needed.
- Work collaboratively with all museum departments.
- Serve on cross-departmental committees as designated by supervisor.
Reports to the Museum Experience Manager.
Mentored and coached by Lead Play Facilitators and Specialist Staff.
Appreciate, encourage, and coach museum volunteers.
Education and Experience:
- Experience working with young children and/or interest in working with children in a creative learning environment, a must.
- Degree in, or in pursuit of, Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education, or related field, a plus
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with adults accompanying children to the museum.
- Must exhibit problem solving, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Must work well in a values oriented collaborative team environment.
- Fluency in Spanish, and/or other languages aside from English, a plus.
The following abilities are required for the position: (a) Visually keep track of visitors, materials and exhibit functioning on the museum floor; (b) Comprehend and speak English extensively and clearly with the public; (c) Hear children’s voices; (d) Assist visitors in emergency situations; (e) Display dexterity necessary to maintain exhibits and exhibit environments; (f) Manipulate exhibit components and facility operating/maintenance equipment; (g) Stand, kneel and move among exhibits for extended periods of time; (h) Climb up and down stairs or use an elevator daily (i) Bend, kneel, climb and reach; (j) Display rapid response times; (k) Lift 25 pounds; (l) Tolerate noise and dust in the environment and handle disinfectant and cleaning materials.
- Must have access to reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and appropriate liability insurance
- Varied work schedule includes days, evenings, weekends and some holidays on a regular basis.