DuPage Children’s Museum Position Description
Position Title: Costumed Character Actor – Wrangler
Status: Non-exempt, Temporary
Job Classification: Frontline
DuPage Children’s Museum is looking for outgoing, self-motivated, friendly people who enjoy sharing their spirit with others! One of our goals is to create an unforgettable experience for our young visitors by bringing their favorite character to life. Our Costume Character/Wrangler does this by interacting and entertaining with enthusiasm. Our Costume Characters/Wranglers work collaboratively in pairs, spending about half of their work time in costume and half of their work time out of costume accompanying costumed team member. Both of these roles are essential in creating a fun, welcoming, and safe environment for children. Candidates should be comfortable speaking and performing in front of a crowd both in and out of costume.
- Provide a fun and interactive experience for visitors to DuPage Children’s Museum by taking every opportunity to interact with families and guests during scheduled meet and greets, programed activities and events, etc.
- Acts as a costume character escort, becoming the eyes, ears and voice of the character and securing a safe and fun interaction between costumed character and guest.
- Perform in a full body costume for up to 20 minutes at a time. Performance includes stationary meet & greets and participation in programmed events, etc.
- Adhere to DCM standards and policies for interacting with families and children.
- Provide a high level of customer service both in and out of the costume.
- Clean and maintain the costume as needed to ensure cleanliness and look of the costume.
- Provide feedback to supervisor regarding experience.
- Supervised by the Membership & Visitor Services Manager.
- Works alongside visitor services and public programs team.
Education and Experience:
- Prior experience working in and or alongside costumed characters preferred.
- Acting and improvisational abilities a plus
Position Related Skills, Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with a variety of ages and personalities.
- Must be supportive of and able to work in a team culture.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent customer service skills and problem solving.
- Have the ability to stay calm and work under high pressure.
- Good organizational skills to maintain a random schedule.
DCM Job Requirements:
- Use a keyboard, mouse, and touchscreen monitor to enter, retrieve, or transfer data.
- Communicate appropriately, clearly and verbally with museum visitors and co-workers.
- Read, write, comprehend, and speak English with the general public and co-workers.
- Hear children’s voices.
- Assist visitors in an emergency situations
- Perform basic mathematical calculations
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Climb up and down stairs or use an elevator daily
- Lift items weighing up to 30 pounds occasionally
- Tolerate dust and fumes from general cleaning and maintenance procedures.
- Reliable source of transportation to and from DCM
Position Job Requirements based off of selected costume requirements:
- Height must be between 5’6” and 5’10”
- Must be of medium build.
- Must be able to tolerate high temperatures for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Must be available for most if not all of the following shifts in 2019:
- Sunday, January 27 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon
- Saturday, February 16 | 4:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 8 | 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 12 | 8:30am – Noon
- Wednesday, February | 20 Noon – 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, February 24 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon
- Sunday, March 3 | 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 8 | 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 12 | Noon – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 20 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon
- Thursday, April 11 | 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 12 | 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 16 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon
- Wednesday, April 24 | Noon – 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 28 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon
- Tuesday, May 7 | Noon – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 8 | 8:00 a.m. – Noon