Position Title: Play and Learning Facilitator
Status: Part-time, Non-exempt Job Classification: Play and Learning
Job Classification: Play and Learning
The vision of the DuPage Children’s Museum is that all children reach their full unique learning potential through hands-on play and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) based experiences. Play and Learning Facilitators (PLF) serves a critical role in advancing towards the vision by modeling best practices in engagement and interaction to create meaningful and positive experiences with DCM guests. PLFs are responsible for the guest operations within the building (when open to the public) as well as engagement within the museum (when open) and facilitation of virtual and in person programs supporting learning and development through play and experiences based in art, science, math, and engineering.
- Lead the facilitation of the Museum’s Learning Labs and other programs (Family nights, scout programs, camps, etc.) in the areas of math, science, art, and engineering
- Engage with guests in the Museum to encourage meaningful play and provide a safe and friendly environment
- Support the guest operations of the museum (when open) by maintaining a safe and clean environment as well as supporting guest entry and needs within the museum, including selling tickets and checking in guests.
- Follow best practices in engagement and facilitation through inquiry, improvisation, and other open-ended facilitation strategies
- Actively create positive learning environments by encouraging students, providing clear expectations and instructions, using positive reinforcement, and celebrating successes.
- Communicate with virtual program participants and organizations to troubleshoot connectivity issues if needed
- Manage materials: ensure sufficient supplies are on hand to lead programs, coordinate with DCM personnel to anticipate supply needs
- Assist in the continuing improvement of existing programs and the development of new programs
- Attend meetings and trainings so as to stay current with improvements and changes to programs
- Attend periodic DCM staff meetings and training sessions
- Assist in the training of new Facilitators
- Encourage and leverage talent of volunteers support of programs
- Supervised by the Chief of Play and Learning subject to reassignment to Managers within Play and Learning Department
- Collaboration across all museum departments and stakeholders
- Maintain excellent relationships with DCM, schools, school groups, and community groups personnel
Education and Experience:
- At least 2 years of experience facilitating engagement of guests in content of a museum or other cultural institution, leading lessons or programs for school-age children, or delivering STEAM activities or programs is required.
- A B.A. or B.S or actively pursuing a degree or professional certificate in a STEAM related field and/or in instructional/engagement practices such as education, improvisation, or theater is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Comfortable using video conferencing software (i.e. Zoom, Google Meet) to deliver presentations
- Ability to work in a team environment and work effectively with the public
- Must be able to handle a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Must have computer skills involving, but not limited to, the Microsoft Office and Google Suite products
- Must have access to reliable transportation, a valid Illinois driver’s license, and appropriate liability insurance
- Provide your own computer with camera and microphone for video calls
- Have reliable, high speed internet for video calls
- Must be able to deliver virtual programs without interruptions or distractions
- Be able to visually keep track of visitors, materials, and exhibit functioning
- Be able to hear children’s voices
- Be able to assist visitors and other staff in an emergency situation
- Display the dexterity necessary to maintain exhibits and exhibit environments
- Manipulate exhibit components and facility operating/maintenance equipment
- Be able stand and walk around for extended periods of time
- Be able to bend, kneel, climb, and reach
- Display rapid response times
- Lift 50 pounds
- Tolerate noise and dust in the environment and handle disinfectant and cleaning materials
HOW TO APPLY:
Download an Application
Please include a cover letter and your resume.
Submit to: email@example.com
DuPage Children’s Museum
301 N. Washington St.
Naperville, IL 60540
Attn: Human Resources